Monday, December 10, 2007

Christmas at the FOP

So, normally when people talk about their "work Christmas party," I envision wine, fancy outfits, elegant music, etc. . . not when you're married to a cop. Picture a small building out in the country. (Two rooms if you count the bar.)

So, we arrived late for happy hour. (My husband and I don't drink - we are okay with other drinking, we just choose not to.) One of Brian's co-workers is still thrilled to have seen a 6 pack of Bud Light in our garage. (It was the first alcohol I ever bought - for beer bread.)

Soon it was time to eat. The food was served by an officer and his wife. By served, I mean, set out on the two covered pool tables. (Compared to other years, the food was good) There was salad, baked potatoes, chicken, pork chops, and green beans. The extras (butter, sour cream, etc)- were in styrofoam bowls. There were also rolls. For dessert - a decorated cake. There was chocolate and white. I chose chocolate, of course - but soon realized that they had RUINED the chocolate cake by putting a layer of fruit. DO NOT put fruit in my chocolate!

Each police event always involves a power point presentation of pictures of the officers set to funny voice bytes and music. The highlight was when they showed a series of pictures of the ex-chief with the song that said, "You're Not the Boss of ME Now!" over and over.

After the "program" half the people left, and the other half hit the bar. For some reason, they all stood in there. That left Brian and I alone at our table. It was actually nice. We people watched and talked in peace. (read kid free) Then we got the brilliant idea to leave and hit Wal-mart. (We are adventurers!!!) We finished up some Christmas shopping. Anyway - it was an interesting night!

My mother -in-law babysat. We came home to learn that Emily told her, "Girls don't have penisis. Girls have raginas." I love that kid.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Ellen, your blog consistently makes me smile. I love reading it. The girls look beautiful in their dresses by the way!

Lisa said...

I think it sounds like it was a really nice night. Time alone, food and conversation with other adults, and shopping together!
I would have much rather gone to Walmart alone with my husband than stood in a bar.
Glad you had a good night!

And that daughter of your cracked me up!

Jul said...

I can honestly say we have done the same thing- got a sitter went to a Christmas party and exited early to hit a store or amidnight movie. You have to make the most of that time!! Whenever we get a sitter we make th best use of that time! My daughter's combined b-day parties with family is Saturday at 3pm- we have my in-laws sticking around so we can shoot over to the mall area to finish Santa shopping!! That of course leaves me time Sunday to get my pictures ready for the Tour of Homes Monday-you are in ,right?